Pages

August 03, 2010

Lovely Liverworts

I stumbled across a thriving population of complex thalliod liverworts on a friend's brick patio this weekend that I had to share.

Liverworts are a Bryophyte in the phylum Heptophyta. This population seemed to be spreading clonally, more specifically by gemmae. Gemmae are bundles of cells that reside in small gemma cups on the liverwort's body that are dispersed via rain droplets and produce clones of the parent plant.

Distinctly featured here, and the factor leading me to believe my population was genetically identical, was that all the plants in the area possessed archegoniophores, those palm tree like structures protruding from the leafy plant body.  Archegoniophores are female reproductive structures, and without a male antheridiophore in sight I'm afraid these liverworts have very little hope of being fertilized.

I think these relatives of the mosses are pretty neat, and I like that they flaunt their sex all over the place. They are putting on a lovely show if you'll only get down and notice!

PS- apologies for the picture quality. All are taken with my cell phone as my camera broke while traveling. One will have to wait until I am steadily employed, my birthday, or someone else wants to be my photographer for improved pictures. I hope you bear with me!

Enjoy the end of summer,

Elizabeth